Breast Augmentation: 5 Do’s and Don’ts to Consider!
At The Spiegel Center in Boston, we know that the decision to undergo breast augmentation can be a difficult one to make. You likely have many questions, and you may be worried that when it’s all done you may not end up with the results you want.
If you are considering breast augmentation (breast implants, or a “boob job”), here is a list of some of the most important do’s and don’ts to make sure you get the best possible results.
- Do the research and make sure your surgeon is properly and extensively trained. Take the Time to Find the Right Plastic Surgeon. If you want great results from your breast augmentation, you need to find a skilled and experienced surgeon. You also need to make sure that the surgeon you choose has been properly and extensively trained, is experienced in performing breast augmentation, and has an in-depth understanding of the aesthetic aspects of cosmetic surgery.
- Do your best to fine a surgeon who you feel comfortable with and understands the outcome you desire. You need to feel comfortable talking to your surgeon so that you know they understand what you want out of your breast augmentation. The consultation provides you with an opportunity to get to know your surgeon. Asking questions is important! We want you to feel completely comfortable.
- Do consider a Breast Lift with Breast Augmentation. Breast Augmentation focuses on enhancing the size of the breasts, but sometimes sagging tissue is also a problem diminishing the appearance of your breasts. Breast augmentation can lead to worsened sagging in some cases when performed on its own. In many cases, patients can benefit from a breast augmentation combined with a breast lift in order to address the multiple issues and provide a complete and attractive breast enhancement. This combination of procedures will ensure the breasts have a larger size, improved shape, and an overall perkier and more youthful appearance.
- Do not Stress Over the Size of Your Implants. One of the biggest concerns for patients is the size of their breast implants. You may have been told that bigger is better or be worried that the final results will be too dramatic and attract unwanted attention. A good surgeon knows that focusing on body proportions is key. They’ll consider the appearance of your entire body in relation to the size of your breasts to help you determine what’s best. The right surgeon will ask you what appearance you want and help you to get the right size.
When you have your consultation, in person or by video, you will have a chance to discuss implant size with the doctor. They will answer all your questions and provide you with essential information. Your surgeon should be able to find the right size for you, whether you want a more subtle enlargement or a significant increase.
- Do not Rush the Recovery. Your body needs time to heal following breast augmentation, so following the post-operative instructions provided to you is very important. You need to make sure you are not placing yourself under any unnecessary stress that could jeopardize your results. It will take some time before you see the full results so try your best to relax. Give yourself time to recover. And, if you have any concerns, always talk to the doctor first. We are there to help keep things healing right, answer questions, and reassure you as your heal.
Meet Our Doctors
Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel
With special expertise in all aspects of facial plastic surgery, and a particular skill for revision surgery, it’s clear why Dr. Spiegel is one of the most celebrated facial plastic surgeons in the world. If you are seeking the best possible results, or have a uniquely challenging problem, you’ve found the right doctor. Learn more....
Dr. Onir L. Spiegel
Dr. Onir (pronounced “oh-near”) has years of experience in facial aesthetics and treats some of the most recognizable and famous faces. Dr. Onir started her career in oral health, earning doctorate degrees from both New York University and Boston University. She has been the recipient of numerous awards for her cutting-edge medical research as well as her technical skills in dentistry. Learn more....