5 things you need to know before getting a facelift!
- There are many types of facelifts but all are really just variations on a common approach. The goal is to lift the tissue (called the SMAS) under the facial skin to a more youthful position. Then, the “extra” or “stretched” skin is tailored for an improved appearance. Among the many types of facelift are the SMAS plication, the S-lift, the MACS-lift, the deep plane facelift, the optimum mobility lift, and many others. However, all have the same basic principal.
- Many studies have shown that the type of facelift is less important to the final result than the skill of the surgeon. In other words, each surgeon has a facelift style they like and they’ll get better results with their style than with another person’s approach.
- A poorly done facelift will result in too much tension on the earlobes which can result in a “pixie” look to the bottom of the ears. Dr. Spiegel has a unique method for fixing this right in the office and is often busy revising other doctor’s facelifts for a best result.
- Sometimes a facelift isn’t enough! Those “bad” celebrity facelifts you sometimes see aren’t necessarily bad. Sometimes the doctor just didn’t finish the job. A youthful face with a long upper lip looks unnatural, for example. If the actor or actress added a lip lift to the procedure they may have looked great! The key to getting it right is to keep things natural, balanced, and proportional.
- Facelifts last forever! (In a way, anyway.) While we can help you look 40 when you’re 50, time keeps marching on so you won’t stay looking 40 forever. But, you should stay looking younger than you would have had you not gotten the procedure. If you’re 60 and look 50 you’ll probably be happy even if you don’t want to look 50 when you are 50.
Meet Our Doctors
Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel
With special expertise in all aspects of facial plastic surgery, and a particular skill for revision surgery, it’s clear why Dr. Spiegel is one of the most celebrated facial plastic surgeons in the world. If you are seeking the best possible results, or have a uniquely challenging problem, you’ve found the right doctor. Learn more....
Dr. Onir L. Spiegel
Dr. Onir (pronounced “oh-near”) has years of experience in facial aesthetics and treats some of the most recognizable and famous faces. Dr. Onir started her career in oral health, earning doctorate degrees from both New York University and Boston University. She has been the recipient of numerous awards for her cutting-edge medical research as well as her technical skills in dentistry. Learn more....