How to identify the best plastic surgeon
Selecting a surgeon to help you look and feel your best is among the most important decisions you will make, but how should you choose? Magazines, your friends, and the woman at the hair salon all have their in-the-know opinions. But who can you really trust?
Here are five steps to finding the right person:
What is their education and certification?
Did the doctor train in a competitive core field for plastic surgery. This means otolaryngology – head and neck surgery with Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship for things relating to your face, or general surgery with American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) fellowship for breast and body contouring. The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) certifies the best trained specialists in facial plastic surgery and the ASPS does the same for breast and body surgery.
Some doctors train in fields such as obstetrics, emergency medicine, dermatology, or family medicine and then decide to become “surgeons”. Some of these may have good surgical skills, but they likely haven’t completed the rigorous and selective training of someone certified by the ABFPRS and ASPS. *
What are they like online?
Lots of followers on social media might mean the doctor it’s a great entertainer, but not a focused professional. Pay attention to what they post. Are they posting pictures of happy patients? Do you like the results they show? Does the doctor use foul language or post disrespectful images of people’s bodies? Would you be comfortable being part of that site? Plastic surgery can be a fun experience, but it is still healthcare and should be treated with respect. Make sure your doctor has the right demeanor and projects this publicly. *
Are they a doctor’s doctor?
The best physicians and surgeons are called upon to share their experience and observations. Does your doctor speak at highly regarded peer meetings and educational symposia (not just to potential patients)? Have they published deeply and widely to advance the field? Do other doctor’s seek them out for their own care? *
What is their experience?
They can talk the talk but have they walked the walk? Make certain that the doctor you are considering has pictures of actual patients that they have treated available for you to see. And, the more the better. You want to know that the surgeon has done many of the type of procedure you are seeking. Many photographs show that lots of people have come to this doctor and have been happy with the results. *
What is your experience?
Nothing is a substitute for meeting the doctor and spending time with them in person or on video. You can judge a book by it’s cover only so much. To really understand if it’s right for you you need to get inside. Find out if they understand your concerns and have an appropriate solution. Look them in the eye and make sure they are a caring person who truly wants the best for you. That’s how you’ll really find the right one. *
* – We’ll save you some time. Here are the answers for TSC:
- Dr. Spiegel is board certified in Facial Plastic Surgery by the APFRS, as well as Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery including voice surgery. He’s one of a select few physicians who has written questions for and administered the boards exams for other physicians and is a member of the few surgeons qualified as a fellowship director for future surgeons.
- Check out @drspiegel on line presence on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snap and even Tiktok.
- Dr. Spiegel is invited weekly to lecture at prestigious peer symposia around the world and has given the key note address at major medical society meetings for multiple specialties. He has published over 80 peer review journal articles and is a full Professor and the Chief of Facial Plastic Surgery for the Boston University School of Medicine.
- Look at pictures throughout http://www.DrSpiegel.com and you’ll find many examples of the fine results available at TSC. Dr. Spiegel does over 1200 procedures each year so while there are many photos and videos to look at, they represent only a tiny fraction of the many patients Dr. Spiegel has thrilled over the years.
- You need to meet us to truly understand what a supportive, empowering, and luxury experience you can have at TSC. Email us today at info@Drspiegel.com to arrange a time for an in person or video consultation. You won’t regret it!
Meet Our Doctors
Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel
With special expertise in all aspects of facial plastic surgery, and a particular skill for revision surgery, it’s clear why Dr. Spiegel is one of the most celebrated facial plastic surgeons in the world. If you are seeking the best possible results, or have a uniquely challenging problem, you’ve found the right doctor. Learn more....
Dr. Onir L. Spiegel
Dr. Onir (pronounced “oh-near”) has years of experience in facial aesthetics and treats some of the most recognizable and famous faces. Dr. Onir started her career in oral health, earning doctorate degrees from both New York University and Boston University. She has been the recipient of numerous awards for her cutting-edge medical research as well as her technical skills in dentistry. Learn more....